I’ve never been a fan of ‘big’ motorcycle luggage.
And except for a sizeable roll-bag, I do my best to leave the big luggage options at home.
But sometimes, it’s unavoidable.
As touring motorcyclists, pretty much all of us make a concerted effort to pack light. But even with a minimalist setup, we’re sometimes short on space.
So what do we do? We get a tank bag!
If you’re looking for additional storage, these 7 motorcycle tank bags will be an awesome place to start.
(In ascending size order.)
1. Givi ST602 Motorcycle Tank Bag
- Approx. £70
- 4-Litre capacity
- Tanklock system
If you’re looking for something small and unobtrusive for everyday use, you can’t go wrong with this option from Givi.
It fits securely to your tank thanks to its Tanklock system and is large enough to hold your essentials (phone, wallet, glasses, passport, etc.)
- Constructed from thermoformed EVA
- Attaches via Tanklock system
- Zip pulls can be used in combination with safety lock
- Rain cover included
- Integrated carry handle for use off the bike
- Adjustable, detachable shoulder strap
- Reflective inserts
- Transparent window for use and storage of a smartphone
2. Oxford Lifetime Q4R Motorcycle Tank Bag
- Approx £90
- 4-Litre Capacity
This 4-litre quick-release tank bag is perfect for those everyday essentials.
Once the tank adapter ring is installed, the bag fits securely to the petrol cap ring.
A handy feature is the integrated electrical port which allows you to store a device in the tank bag and run a power cable to the bike.
The anti-glare pocket works well (providing the sun isn’t above you in the height of summer!) It’s also great for storing those smaller essentials.
It’s worth noting that the tank adapter ring needs to be bought separately.
- Electrical port
- Internal device pocket
- Dedicated pocket for keys
- Antiglare front pocket
- Magnetic attachment
3. SW-Motech EVO Daypack
- Approx £100
- 5-Litre capacity (expandable to 9 litres)
We really like this waterproof and expandable motorcycle tank bag from SW-Motech.
In its smallest configuration, it’s perfect for carrying essentials on day rides or commutes.
If you need a touch more space for a weekend trip, the bag is expandable to 9-litres.
Disappointingly, you will need to purchase the Quik-Lock EVO tank ring separately to enable fitting to the tank.
- Constructed from strong 1680D ballistic nylon
- Integrated mesh storage compartments
- Cable routing for electrical management
- GPS mount attachment points
- Includes rain cover
- Supplied with detachable shoulder strap
4. Oxford F1 Mini
- Approx £35
- 7-Litre capacity
I have a bit of an affinity with this tank bag. It’s not the most glitzy of options on the market. But I bought the old version of this around 7 years ago, and it’s still on my bike!
Never once have I had an issue with it.
Simple, effective, and does exactly what it says on the tin.
- Constructed from durable ripstop nylon
- Showerproof liner
- Reflective details
- Holder for device/map
- External pockets
- Includes colour inserts
5. Cortech Super 2.0 Motorcycle Tank Bag
- Approx. £95 (although usually imported from America so may require handling fees)
- 12-Litre capacity
- Magnetic & strap mounting system
With its tapered shape, the Cortech Super is great for those who like a more streamlined profile with mounting options.
Constructed from durable materials, this expandable tank bag is great both on and off the bike.
- 1680D ballistic material
- Non-slip non-scratch mountain base
- Concealed ‘zipper garage’
- Hideaway backpack straps
- Removable map pocket
- Internal mesh storage pockets
- Hidden pocket
- Integrated rain cover
- Available in magnetic or strap mounting systems
6. Nelson-Rigg Trails End Adventure
- Approx. £95
- 12.5-Litre capacity (expandable to 16.5-Litres)
- Strap mounting system
We like the thought that’s gone into this tank bag by Nelson-Rigg. If you’re after a motorcycle tank bag that has been designed with off-roading in mind, this is the option for you.
- Tapered base to accommodate ADV, off-road, and dual-sports profiles
- Quick-release fastenings for refueling
- Constructed from durable Ultramax polyester
- Side pockets
- Lockable zips
- Removable shoulder straps
- Protective base (prevents slipping and tank scratches)
- Map pocket
- Waterproof rain cover
7. Givi XS307 Motorcycle Tank Bag
- Approx £75
- 15-Litre (expandable) capacity
- Tanklock fitting system
Another great quality product from Givi, with an expandable 15-litre compartment and GPS holder.
As part of the Givi Xstream range, this soft luggage option is designed to be compatible with the Givi Tanklock system.
- Water-resistant zips
- Internal reinforcements
- Reflective detailing
- Fluorescent rain cover included
- Weatherproofed internal compartments
- Removable tablet holder
- Cable management port/system
- Detachable shoulder straps
- Safety locks
Motorcycle Tank Bags: Conclusion
As you can see, there are a variety of motorcycle tank bags on the market. And that’s a good thing because we all ride different bikes for different uses!
Before you commit, have a think about what you will be using it for. Is it for day rides or commutes? If so, you can probably get away with a micro tank bag such as the Givi ST602 above.
Need it for day trips and the occasional weekend adventure? Perhaps an expandable option would suit you best.
Tarmac or off-road? If you’re buying specifically for use on the trails, consider getting a motorcycle tank bag that is designed for off-road use.
Whichever you choose, I’d always recommend buying one that’s either waterproof or at least comes with a waterproof cover!
Affiliate links: If you purchase any product using our links to SportsBikeShop, Revzilla, or Amazon, we receive a small commission at absolutely no extra cost to you. It keeps our site running so we can continue to bring you great content. Thanks so much for your support!